Wednesday, June 30, 2011
Labyrinth #4: United Methodist Church – Davis
This morning I visited the labyrinth located on the grounds of the UMC in Davis. It was an interesting experience to say the least. There were 4 to 6 “volunteers” moving materials into one of the church buildings. One came up to me and asked if she could be of assistance. I shared what I was doing and she inquired whether I knew of the other labyrinths in Davis – like the labyrinth at St. Martin’s? (Interestingly enough, she is a member of the congregation at St. Martin’s and was just helping out at the UMC.) I shared about the lavender labyrinth outside of Mt. Shasta and she told me about a new labyrinth in Auburn on the grounds of The Mercy Center. (I will be going there either tomorrow or Saturday! J ) She then left me alone to have my experience.
As soon as I began my “ritual” to enter the labyrinth, a couple of other volunteers decided to pull up chairs and have a conversation. I found it “attention-grabbing” that the topic of the conversation was gay marriage and gays/lesbians in general. Resembling both “topics,” I found it difficult not to listen. Evidently, the brand new minister (This Sunday is her introduction!) resembles both “topics” as well. It was apparent that one of the participants was working hard to make a connection between the “ungodliness” of lesbianism and God. His belief systems were being challenged. He even mentioned that as far as he knew, there was nowhere in the Bible that states that this type of relationship is ok. I had reached the center of the labyrinth by now and what dropped in for me was the following: God is Love….Love the Lord God with all Thy Might…Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. These are the things to remember. The rest is “story.”
As I made my rounds in the petals, I refocused myself and recalled the fact that the labyrinth was bright blue today with gold trimming. It was shimmering in the sunlight. Clarity seemed to be its foundation. I spent some extra time in the 4th petal – Abundance. What does Abundance mean to me? I know many believe abundance is all about money but this doesn’t seem to be the “core” meaning. For me, abundance includes: bliss, happiness, giggles, joy. It means that I have everything I need in that moment (which would include money!). It also becomes clear that Abundance occurs simultaneously when I am in alignment with the true me – my divine Essence. That may be the only time when I feel complete balance and a lack of worries. I have everything I need in those moments. When I feel safe and allow myself to align with the truth of who I am, it’s like a channel opens and I’m walking in a surreal reality. I come “alive” in those moments in a way that isn’t normal for me and I know that something “special” is occurring – I am in alignment.
By now, the conversation had subsided and I knew the gift the new pastor for the UMC - Davis was bringing the congregation. The blessing of an expanded understanding of God and Love had arrived. I wished them all the best on their journey together.
When I left the labyrinth, I found a quiet spot on the backside of the church and wrote a few notes on my experience. Though part of me found the rather loud conversation while I was walking the labyrinth a little rude, I had recognized the gift in the conversation. I contemplated different levels of “Service” – all well and good. There is the service of volunteers assisting the church and there is the Service of a divine Essence(s) holding space in honor and recognition of the journey of another Essence. I could sense the Essences of the conversationalists holding space for me while I walked the labyrinth. Though the humans didn’t seem to notice, their Essences did. I could feel it. This is always true. If we take the time to pay attention….and still ourselves…we can sense the divine Essence of another in each and every moment – no matter the circumstances. This is where the truthful “conversation” takes place – in the wordless connection within the circle of sacred life.
There is peace today. Up to this point, I have been somewhat anxious or uncomfortable as the truthful energy of personally powerful insights rumbled though me. I look forward to tomorrow but will enjoy this day. It has been a blessing.
The Divinity in me bows to the Divinity in you…
Karrie
No comments:
Post a Comment