Friday, July 01, 2011
Labyrinth #5: Grace Cathedral – San Francisco
I just have to say, I AM POOPED! Though this has been an incredible journey, my body can’t take much more of this rumbling, rippling and rocking! Today, I drove over the Bay Bridge and into San Francisco to visit the super-fantastic Grace Cathedral. If you ever have the opportunity, it’s a must-see and a must-experience. The Cathedral has two Chartres-sized labyrinths – one inside the main entrance of the church and one outside in a front “patio” area.
The Cathedral is gargantuan with several vestibules. I could hear “ministers” leading prayers at different times in varying parts of the church. The stained glass windows are incredibly beautiful and engraved with messages and stories. My favorite is a clandestine meeting of St. Francis and Claire. I decided to walk the labyrinth inside the Cathedral. My timing was excellent as I was able to experience the walk without much interruption.
As per most of my walks, I opened the labyrinth, set my intent and began the path. I could hear the Lord’s Prayer being recited by a small group in one of the vestibules. In my own mind, “Forgiveness” was already beginning to percolate. Doubt and Trust were coming up big as I moved along the path. I heard myself asking for forgiveness for all my anger, doubt and lack of trust in what I know to be true. I concentrated on what I felt regarding the labyrinth itself. Immediately, I saw and felt gold. The pathway turned to a deep plush crimson carpet lined with gold. In my mind’s eye, I kept seeing a crown and the path felt like the walkway to a coronation.
When I reached the center, I spent time in each petal as per my ritualistic routine. Faith…Surrender…Service…Abundance…Forgiveness… I spent quite awhile in the fifth petal before moving on. I heard “Are you ready to forgive yourself, Karrie?” I could feel the depth at which the question entered me. (The tears are coming now as I’m writing.) I now realize that part of me was “shocked” by the question. The question was like an arrow from the Universe which upon impact instantaneously planted a more truthful perspective which woke part of me up like a bucket of ice water! At some deeper level I caught the true meaning underlying the question. I was the one that held the key to freedom. I was the one who held the key to the dungeon door – the dungeon of punishment, wrath and merciless judgment. And I was the one who held the gift of Forgiveness. Though I had understood this concept at a “head” level, it was evident that I hadn’t truly known it at the core of my being until this moment. I recognized a part of me that had been harboring some outdated dogma that basically brainwashed me into feeling unworthy and undeserving - like I had “missed the mark” and was a disgrace. But in this one infinitesimal moment, I felt this “data” disintegrate…..“Are you ready to forgive yourself, Karrie?” Wow… I knew this experience had affected me deeply and I probably wouldn’t understand the full ramifications until later.
I moved through the final petal quickly and sat down in the center of the labyrinth (LOVE). I took a couple of deep breaths just to enjoy where I was sitting. It was then that I heard, “Golden Starlight of the Heavens, are you ready to take back your heart and your crown?” I “saw’ a huge diamond representing my heart and a golden crown with rubies and diamonds which I knew represented my crown chakra. Once again, I was shocked and deeply moved. The feeling in the moment was like the “prodigal son returning home” – not to wrath and punishment but to love and celebration. Again at a much deeper level, I realized that I was the one who pushed these deep feeling and sensing parts of me aside. I had closed them off due to doubt, lack of trust and the fear of being wrong as well as hurt. These aspects had been “kept” for me until I was ready to take them back – until I could Forgive myself. Amazing.
I walked out of the labyrinth in a state of awe. (I think my mouth may have been hanging open!) I felt a familiar pang of doubt and “this is ridiculous” but I quickly shut it down. I will no longer entertain such nonsense. I have been incredibly unhappy because I refused to take a stand in what I know to be true. I refused to trust my own knowings because what I knew wasn’t reflected in my everyday life. The façade was too strong and firmly embedded. Those days are done.
I love you,
Karrie
No comments:
Post a Comment