Sunday, October 02, 2011
Back in June, I initiated a 9-day project which was based in the labyrinth. At the time, I had no idea why I was choosing this ancient tool as a focus but it was clear to me that it was to be the center of the journey. Because it seemed to be a little blasé to me at the time, I had also chosen an intention to gain a deeper understanding into the meaning of “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” As some of you may remember, I recorded my experience in the form of a blog which can be found at www.rallyofone.blogspot.com. This 9-day project turned out to be the journey of a lifetime. Its effects have lasted far beyond the 9 days of journeying to different labyrinths in the area and recording my insights. “Life, Liberty and the Labyrinth” (as I have lovingly named this journey) has turned out to be the most transformational experience of my life. It has been the gift that keeps on giving as insight after insight has lead my increasingly closer to the freedom I so desired.
A week ago, I returned from a 2-week trip to France as part of a group visiting sacred sites focused on the Divine Feminine. The grand finale of the itinerary was a trip to Chartres Cathedral which contains an 11-circuit, 42 foot wide labyrinth which may be over a thousand years old. Many labyrinths in existence today – including those I visited in June and July – have been patterned after the Chartres Labyrinth which is the most famous of labyrinths in the world. Chartres Cathedral itself is beyond words. Its architecture (the exterior was last updated in the 1100’s) is inspiring, uplifting and breathtaking. It reminds me of the stillness, divine grace, power and silent magnificence instilled by a forest of Redwoods magnified by 1000.
For part of the year, the labyrinth at Chartres is uncovered on Fridays, allowing “pilgrims” to walk her sacred path as others have done for centuries. My first experience with her was on the Thursday evening before the Fall Equinox when she was still covered by rows of chairs. She is constructed from blocks of stone, stone which is not completely flat but smooth and well worn from the walking of millions of pilgrims who have travelled her sacred path. Her feel is intoxicatingly powerful and divinely feminine.
On Friday morning, we arrived at the Cathedral around 9 a.m. and joined the myriad of pilgrims who had already begun to walk the path. Just prior to arrival, I had suddenly been blessed with a “drop-in”….the labyrinth had become a breathtaking crimson rose in full bloom radiating the unconditional love and grace of the Mother….the Divine Feminine. The feeling was powerful and brought tears as well as sobs. As I entered the folds of this beyond-words-divine-rose, I heard repeatedly “I am so grateful….I am so grateful,” as tears evidenced the depth of my gratitude. I also was aware that this particular sacred walk marked the completion of the core theme that had been “outed” earlier in my journey. It also marked the beginning of a new life path for me, a path which I could only sense at this point – but what I could sense was incredible!
It was just this morning (over a week after this sacred experience) that I realized that the labyrinth at Chartres was my experience of the center of the labyrinth – LOVE. During my 9-day journey through area labyrinths, I focused on and experienced each petal of the labyrinth – Faith, Surrender, Service, Abundance, Forgiveness and Overcoming. However, I didn’t include a final labyrinth focused on the center. Chartres was that labyrinth…The Rose…undoubtedly the experience of LOVE…
There is so much more I would like to share yet all I can do is keep my mouth shut…however…I can say this…I have found the freedom I have longed for…and for this…I am beyond grateful…
Much love,
Karrie
No comments:
Post a Comment