Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 14 More than a Job Description

Monday, July 18, 2011
This morning, I woke up thinking, “we are so much more than a job description.”  We are so much larger and incredibly more powerful than the boundaries a pre-determined, assembly-like “box” will allow.  Unfortunately, most of us have spent our lives desperately trying to fit into the on-paper demands of a job description or the personal expectations of others.  I believe this is why there is so much frustration and anger in the world.  Our soul calls for alignment with our Essence yet the world around us demands we fit in a box that is a thousand times too small. 
Three years ago, I resigned from a good paying position with excellent benefits.  I just cut the cord and left with one box of memorabilia.  I spent the next 2 years writing, playing the piano, painting and facilitating workshops with my partner.  I also experienced an incredibly soul-wrenching Dark Night of the Soul.  I ended up losing a house and facing many of my darkest fears.  Interestingly enough, I don’t regret any of it.  During that time, I began to get in touch with the core of who I truly am and began to free myself from many of the hostage-taking values of the false façade.  (An amazing experience which I don’t want to repeat but am eternally thankful for!)
A little over a year ago, I took a position with the same company but about 400 miles from where I was living.  I felt “called” to the position.  (Some of you probably know what I’m talking about.)  After two years of calling my own shots, following my own guidance and being my own master – I went back to a job description.  I took the job because I sensed that what I had to offer – my gifts, talents and strengths – could be of great assistance.  However, I didn’t fathom the tremendous struggle I would encounter due to the expectations accompanying this job description.  It has taken me over a year to finally figure out that I came into the position not to fill a job description but because I felt my gifts, talents and the Essence of who I am could assist an organization in moving to another level of functioning.  I didn’t take the job to get a paycheck or to align with the expectations of others.  I took the job because I sensed “who I am” could be of service.  This has been an incredible struggle for me.  The false façade and I have been doing battle this entire time.  The gift was the opportunity to step more fully into living who I am while being incredibly pressured by a job description and its accompanying expectations.  I have played the part to the best of my abilities while channeling “me” into the position.  With this recognition, I feel like I have passed a test.  I have taken what I “learned” in a 2-year “time-out” and have been able to see and experience its application within the false façade.  Amazingly, I can see where it is making a difference – not only in the world around me but on my life experiences as well. 
Faith…Surrender…Service…Abundance…Forgiveness…Overcoming…Love…my understanding of this “process” came to life in the labyrinth…and continues to bless me each and every day.
The Divinity in me bows to the divinity in you,
Much Love,
Karrie   

No comments:

Post a Comment